An adventure begins in the kitchen…
Believe it or not, this dietitian hasn’t always known her way around the kitchen. In fact, I still stumble a bit! But one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned while spending time there is that stumbling is practically a requirement to begin an adventure there.
I’m a huge advocate for home cooked meals and spending time together. I’m also a firm believer that eating well begins in the kitchen and that its okay to play with your food. Trying new combinations and taking risks are two behaviors I’ve really learned to lean into over the past few years, and luckily for my family’s sake, most of those decisions have turned into delicious meals and snacks.
My boys, Eli and Ben, will tell you that there isn’t a food I don’t enjoy, and that’s actually a pretty accurate statement. My mother says she knew I was destined to be a nutritionist because of the way that I ate as a child. Random fun fact – for one of my birthdays I requested a veggie platter and cheese and cracker tray INSTEAD of a cake. Who does that!?! This girl does… or did… these days I’d probably choose the cake!
And yes, I do love vegetables. And cheese….and coffee…and wine. Really, all foods are fair game in this house! But I promise that you’ll primarily see recipes here that are comprised of simple, delicious, wholesome ingredients and make cooking healthy for you and your family a little easier to do. After all, its hard getting dinner on the table every night of the week these days!
A Little Trivia:
- My faith is an essential part of who I am. My husband, Aaron, has been working in ministry for the past six years as Director of Student Ministries at our church, Mount Pleasant Community Church.
- My signature dish always changes. Right now it’s a delicious Green Goddess Salad that I take with me to barbecues, potlucks – basically anything where I need to bring a dish to pass.
- My husband and I are foster parents and have had three placements to date. Currently, we have two adorable foster daughters who we are proud to have as members of our team. They increased our level of busy quiet a bit, but we still manage to find time (and enough plates!) for dinner most nights of the week.
- I married my high school sweetheart. We met behind stage on one of our high school play sets.
- My favorite super hero is Superman and my favorite leading lady is Lois Lane. That’s important trivia because my boys are obsessed with super heroes these days, so you have to know who you’re rooting for.
Spreading a healthy, upbeat message is my jam.
Over the years I have also had the opportunity to work with a variety of brands and organizations to help spread the message about how a variety of foods fit into healthy, balanced meal plans. A few of these brands and organizations include: the United Dairy Industry of Michigan, the Hass Avocado Board, Kellogg’s FiberPlus, Welch’s, and Healthy Steps.
I’ve also had the honor of writing for our local newspaper, the Morning Sun, for three years and have had some of my work featured in Fitness magazine, Shape, YahooShine!, and Diets in Review.
I’d love to connect with you.
You can connect with me on Twitter and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive my weekly newsletter “Kati Says…” and get insider information to help you craft and create meals you love each and every day.